Even with all the readily available information about the dangers of texting and driving, thousands of crashes are caused each year due to drivers who are on their phone. Over 60 percent of drivers have admitted to texting while behind the wheel, and some studies have shown that this statistic can be up to 80 percent.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has released new facts about the dangers of texting and driving, including:
- At least 23 percent of all car crashes in 2011 involved a cell phone. That adds up to 1.3 million crashes that were caused by a phone.
- Those who texted and drove in a controlled study spent around 10 percent of the time driving outside their lane.
- In a different controlled study, most drivers took their eyes off the road for up to 5 seconds while texting. Five seconds is enough to travel the length of a football field. The study also shows that people only thought their eyes were off the road for half that amount of time.
- Almost all teen drivers, 97 percent, say that they know that texting while driving is very dangerous, yet over 40 percent admitted to still doing it.
- Over 70 percent of teens say that other teens text while behind the wheel, and almost 80 percent of teens say that they have seen their parents text and drive.
- At any given moment, around 1 in every 5 drivers on the road are writing or reading a text message.
Having the right auto insurance policy can help keep you safe while on the road. Contact Insurance and Mortgage Services in Batavia, Illinois for all of your auto insurance coverage needs to ensure that you have the right amount of protection.