Secure your homeowners and flood insurance in the event of a basement flood!
Although Mother Nature often has a hand in causing your basement to flood, the fact remains that in the majority of causes, faulty roof top drainage, poor lot grading, foundation drainage, or disposal of storm water can be the real culprits!
Despite this, here are some simple tips that you can take to safeguard your basement from flooding!
Why Should You Flood Guard Your Home:
Basement flooding can be a serious problem! In addition to the huge mess and headache that it can bring to the household, there are other negative effects:
- Chronically wet houses are linked to increased respiratory problems.
- Restoration of a finished basement may cost thousands of dollars.
- Insurance rates or deductibles may rise to compensate for repeated basement flooding claims.
- Property value may depreciate because the basement is prone to frequent flooding.
How to Avoid Basement Flooding:
Your property drains through an interconnected system that must function properly from beginning to end to prevent flooding.
- Gutters and Downspouts: Your home’s downspouts must be disconnected from drain tiles and directed over land – away from your home so that water doesn’t pool next to the basement walls or basement windows.
- Lot Grading: If your lot slopes inward, you’ll want to fill in and grade the lot so that, for at least 6 feet out from around the foundation, the land slopes away from your house and water drains away from the basement walls. Also, examine sidewalks, patios, decks, and driveways. These can settle over time and cause water to drain back towards your basement walls.
- Use Flood-Proofing Devices: If your home is prone to flooding, invest in a sump pump or back flow valve to keep rainwater and sewage from backing up.
- Flood Insurance: One of the most important actions that you can take as a homeowner is to purchase a flood insurance policy. Most homeowners insurance policies do not cover damage caused by a flood or natural cause!
For all of your flood insurance and homeowners insurance needs, contact Insurance and Mortgage Services. Our insurance experts understand the importance of securing your home and belongings with quality protection in Batavia, Illinois!