Keep your home protected and your money in your wallet with these tips.
It’s crucial for all homeowners to learn about proper house maintenance. Not only can regular upkeep help you to avoid paying for major repairs out of your own pocket, but it also helps to keep your home sparkling all year long!
To keep your home in tip-top shape without breaking the bank, implement these five tips today:
- Clean vents and filters: Check that the vents for your dryer, air conditioner, heater, and septic tank are clear and clean! Letting lint and waste build up can cause early breakdowns, fires, and further damage!
- Inspect gutters and downspouts: Clogged gutters and downspouts can lead to leaking basements, flooded floors, cracked foundations, and wood rot that can cost $500 to $5,000 or more. Clear the gutters of debris and that your downspouts are positioned to direct water away from your foundation.
- Assess your attic insulation: Attic insulation controls moisture, retains heat, and ensures proper ventilation. Inspect your attic to make sure that there is insulation covering the entire space. If existing insulation appears to be damaged or depleted, consider adding more insulation to replacing it altogether.
- Find and seal air leaks: Quit letting energy-wasting, money-draining air leaks by caulking, sealing, and weather-stripping all of the seams, cracks, and openings in your home. Not only do you get a jumpstart on potential leaks, but you’ll also save money on your heating and air con bill!
- Make sure alarms are working: Make sure your smoke alarms and security systems have batteries and are in good, working condition. By doing so, you might avoid a fire or burglar!
Along with these tips, be sure to regularly assess your homeowners insurance. This coverage can protect your home for many years to come by helping with the finances of rebuilding and repairing after a disaster. For all of your coverages, contact the professionals at Insurance and Mortgage Services today.