Use these tips to keep your Batavia, IL home safe while on vacation.
Taking a vacation is one of the best ways to relax and get rid of the stress of daily life. However, all the rest and relaxation of your vacation can be shattered if you come home to find that your house has been broken into or flooded by a burst pipe. Keep these home security tips in mind to keep your house protected while enjoying your vacation.
Protect against thieves
- Right before you leave, make sure that all of your doors and windows are locked, even the windows on the second story of your house.
- Put any spare keys inside your house or give them to a trusted neighbor. Burglars know exactly where people hide their spare keys, giving them easy access into your house while you are away.
- Make sure there are no valuable items that are visible from the street. Close your curtains or move valuables, such as laptops, away from windows.
Protect against internal threats
- Unplug all appliances that do not need to stay plugged in, such as coffee makers and toasters. Unplugging your appliances ensures that they will not be damaged if there is a power surge.
- Make sure that your pipes are protected by properly insulating them and leaving the heat in your house on low.
- Clean out your downspouts and rain gutters to ensure in case it rains while you are away. Clogged rain gutters can easily cause water to back up into your house and roof, causing serious and expensive damage.
Having the right home insurance policy in place can help to ensure that your home and personal belongings will be protected in case of any peril. Contact the independent insurance professionals at Insurance and Mortgage Services in Batavia, Illinois for all of your homeowners insurance needs.