If you are an avid social media user, did you know that you could be putting yourself at risk for identity theft? It is true! If your Facebook privacy settings are not strict enough, you could be putting your private information out into the world for anyone to see, regardless of their motives! The privacy settings for the popular social networking site are always updating, and changing. It can be hard to stay on top of the updates, and make sure that your information is secure. Here are a few tips for keeping your online information as private as possible:
- Make sure that your password is strong. You should use a combination of upper and lower case letters in addition to a few symbols and numbers. You should not reference any personal information like your last name, maiden name, or any other information that someone could easily get.
- Think twice about location information before you post about it.
- Only enter personal information into web pages that display an “https” before the web URL. These sites are more secure than others.
- Be cautious when you receive emails from any social media sites. They are incredibly easy to duplicate.
- Do not allow individuals who you do not know onto your friends list. Untrustworthy people should not have access to any of your information.
- Stay away from any form of spam!
- Only download applications that are from well-known sites.
Pay attention to these security recommendations to ensure you will never have to deal with the repercussions of identify theft! If you are interested in insurance or mortgage assistance, please contact the professionals at Insurance & Mortgage Services, located in Illinois! We have a combined 16 years of experience in the insurance and mortgage industries. Let us show you how excellent our customer service is by giving us a call, today!