While the summer season brings in warm temperatures, those warm temperatures can easily turn into a summer storm, which could cause serious issues at your house. While there is no way to control Mother Nature, there are some steps that you can take to help ensure that you and your family stay safe. Keep these pre-storm preparation tips in mind to make sure that you are ready for anything this season.
- Stock up – since you may not be able to make it to the grocery store, make sure that your cabinets are full of non-perishable food items. Also, make sure that you have plenty of baby food if you have children in the family, as well as pet food for your furry friends. If anyone in your family takes daily medications, make sure that you have at least a three day supply on hand.
- Bottled water supply – you may not be able to drink any water that comes out of your tap during a storm. Make sure that you have plenty of water for everyone in your family. The American Red Cross recommends that you have at least one gallon of water per person each day.
- Look at your emergency equipment – check all of your equipment that you may need during an emergency, such as emergency generators, flashlights, and battery operated radios. Be sure to stock up on extra batteries as well.
- Check your cash supply – if the power is down during a storm, you may not be able to access your bank account. Make sure to keep plenty of cash on hand so that you can pay for any supplies that you need.
- Turn your fridge down – turning your refrigerator to its coldest setting will help to keep your food fresh longer. Do not open the refrigerator unless you need to.
Having the right home insurance policy can help to ensure that you are protected in case of any property damage. Contact Insurance and Mortgage Services in Batavia, Illinois for all your homeowners insurance coverage.