Distracted driving can result in an increase your Batavia, IL auto insurance policy.
From easy access into their smartphones to never missing a text with their smartwatch, technology is prevalent amongst teenagers these days. Now that your child has come to the age of being able to take the wheel, it’s important that they understand that using technology whilst driving never mix well.
Distracted driving is where the attention and focus of the driver are stolen or shared between doing something else, resulting in unawareness of what is happening on the road. Texting whilst driving is a growing national epidemic that is becoming one of the country’s top killers. Daily, there are more than 1,153 injured from incidents that involve a distracted driver, and more than 9 of those are killed.
With this statistic in hand, alert your child to the dangers of distracted driving and use these tips to stop your teens from developing bad habits:
- Explain the reasoning behind distracted driving and the dangers that it can cause to them and other drivers.
- Be the passenger while your teen is driving to check that they aren’t adopting bad driving habits.
- Split the cost of their auto insurance policy with them. They’ll be quick to learn that if they don’t want an increased premium, they should drive safely to avoid accidents.
- Encourage them to store their phone and electronic devices away out of reach whilst driving.
- Install Live2Txt. This is an app that allows users to block incoming calls and texts by turning it ‘on’ before driving. It will even alert the sender that you can’t respond because you’re driving, too!
- Practice what you preach! If you expect your children to follow suit, you must set a good example. Never answer your phone or send quick texts whilst on the road!
The prospect of your child behind the wheel is scary enough without them adding danger to their lives by picking up their phone. Secure them the quality that they need with reliable auto insurance. At Insurance and Mortgage Services, our trusted insurance professionals find you a policy that protects you, your vehicle and finances over every bump in the road. Contact us in Batavia, Illinois today!